Monday, October 22, 2012

To Right the Unrightable Wrong


 Let me begin by saying that I am sure this post will be misunderstood by many who read it. It will be misread by both those who I agree with politically and those who oppose my views. I still feel compelled to say these things because I want my acquaintances to know what I believe in, what I stand for, and what I think is most important. I hope I make myself clear. I hope those who I most wish to see this will read it and will understand my meaning. My goal is to establish a common ground. Those who read this are, of course, listed as my friends on this social network. I certainly hope we remain so throughout political and even moral disagreements.

I spent the month of May in Boston on an internship. My time there made me think about my country's beginnings and our forefather's hopes for its future. I visited sites like Minute Man Park and Bunker Hill while simultaneously reading The Hunger Games series for the first time. Yes, I know, I'm behind the times. However, I'm glad that I didn't take the time to read them until I was in Boston. Reading those books while spending time in Massachusetts is what led to the thoughts that make up this post.

I majored in American Studies at Brigham Young University. I love my country. My patriotism is something that I can happily say grows more passionate every day. When I heard about the major, it was irresistible to me. A major where what I would study could simply be described as “everything about America” was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to learn what makes the United States tick, where we came from, what we saw in our future. My passion that carried me forward in school is the same passion that makes me follow politics, read history books, and exercise my right as an American to vote.

Visiting historical sites and monuments in Massachusetts reminded me of all that our forefathers were up against. We were facing the proposition of fighting the most powerful navy on Earth at the time, and we faced the opposition head on. The odds were against us. We didn't even know if the freedom we were fighting for would lead us to a better life than the one we had, but we knew that we couldn't settle for the lives we were leading.

Although it is a very drastic parallel to make from a novel to the British empire of the 18th century, The Hunger Games series also portrayed a government with misplaced power. The odds were against the rebels, and once they had managed to overthrow their leader they mistakenly led to office yet another power-hungry tyrant. I don't know about the rest of you, but for a moment before Katniss managed to kill President Coin, I was thinking, “What was it all for?! What good were the sacrifices of all those lives and all that effort if the country is doomed to live in an endless circle of misplaced power?!” Well, I believe that fighting for what you believe is right is an act never gone to waste.

I'm the kind of person who believes in absolute truth. Anyone who has any infinitesimal type of moral or political belief is also someone who believes in a truth of some kind. Even though truth is often an intangible thing, something that we can't see or smell or taste, it's something that grants integrity to those who fight for it. Somehow, some way, someone will benefit by one individual standing up for what they believe in. Even if that benefit is only a flicker of passion in the heart of that individual, I think it's worth it.

I hold certain moral and political opinions that at least half of my friends on Facebook vehemently detest. That's alright. You can hate me for it. You can unfriend me. You can berate me. You can demand a debate. On certain subjects I simply won't give you one. Anyone who knows me well will tell you that I'm almost always up for a good debate, but my personal reasons for voting on certain issues the way I do will not be satisfactory to you. My reasons are my own.

However, my time in Boston led me to realize something that I do, truly believe with all my heart: If you believe that certain laws in this country are unconstitutional and prejudiced, if you do believe that depriving people of certain rights is an act of the most severe injustice, then whether or not you are on my side do not stop fighting for it. Don't. Don't give up. Don't stop asking people to sign petitions. Don't stop writing to congressmen. Don't stop rallying. Don't stop picketing. Don't stop preaching in social media. Don't stop talking to your friends and family about it. Don't give up in defeat. Don't be quiet. Don't pretend like nothing's wrong. Regardless of whether or not you agree with me, don't stop fighting. People spend enough time pretending that everything's okay because they want everything to be okay. That is not okay. If Americans don't fight for change then who can we expect to fight for it?

America stands for something more than power. It represents something small and seemingly insignificant that grew into a nation allowing millions the pursuit of happiness when it was denied them in legal writing only decades before. We've crossed so many barriers as Americans. We've fought countless wars, not only military and political but personal wars, to give every citizen as much freedom as humanly possible. I believe that our country is special, and if I plan to hold true to that belief then I must encourage the outspokenness of everyone even if their opinions might oppose mine in every facet.

I don't believe in the reasons that certain people hold for signing petitions and picketing in an attempt to gain what they believe to be their rights, but I wholeheartedly believe in what they're doing. I may be a conservative republican, but I am first and foremost an American. I believe in this country, and I believe in you if you believe in what this country stands for. I have faith in anyone who trusts that America is trying. We may not be perfect, but we are trying.

I love America. I love that in the 18th century we felt that something was so wrong and not being fixed and so we fought for it. Everyone told us not to. Even friends and family members. They told us that we would lose, that we were completely moronic to imagine that we could fight against something that had long been established as the natural state of things. We stood in the face of all that opposition and were still determined to win our rights. If you believe in a truth, then fight for it. If truth isn't worth being chastised for, what is?

Of course, I'm not suggesting that you start a revolution against the government. I'm speaking of standing up for what you believe in and not settling for less. Never settle for decent when something could be better. Obviously, there are many government officials who support your cause, and you're making some headway. However, I am giving you my support to continue to voice your political and moral standings in whatever arena you find yourself in and in whatever (preferably peaceful and kind) manner you choose. I know very well that there are many of you who do not need or ask for my support and encouragement, but I'm also sure that there may be some out there who are terrified to admit what they believe in for fear of being berated by your own community.

Be proud of your opinion, whatever it is. You have reasons. Share them. Maybe you'll even catch me arguing with you some day. I don't think you're an idiot or an asshole if you disagree with me. If your opinion changes and you end up agreeing with me, that's okay. Unless or until it does, do not give up. I won't give up on you.

We're all fighting for the same thing at the heart of it all. In my mind the fact that we can openly fight for what we believe in means we're already halfway there. It takes people with passion to keep pushing for what's right until we make it all the way. Don't stop fighting for it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment